Data persistence/ retaining setup/ booting with a Live USB release ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 14:53:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 16:25 +0000, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 02:08pm on Friday, November 28, 2008 (UK time), Linuxguy123 scrawled:
>
> > My friend's laptop died.  She needs to reinstall XP but she has lost her
> > install disks and the XP install disks we have tried thus far don't work
> > for her machine.
> >
> > I like F10 so much I am thinking of recommending it for her machine.
> > I'd like to send her a USB flash drive with F10 on it that she could try
> > on her machine.
>
> If your friend is not particularly "into computers and maintain them"
> then I suggest you try a different distro from Fedora, so that she won't
> need to upgrade to a new version every year.  Something like CentOS or
> Ubuntu would be better I would think.  If it were me I would use CentOS
> - I use it on my servers and its configuration is similar to Fedora.
> However lots of people who want there PC to just work like Ubuntu
> (including my son and his girlfriend).
>
> BTW, I have used Fedora, and RH before it on my primary workstation.
> But I enjoy playing with it.
>
> Steve

Thanks for the tip.  I've been using RH/ Fedora for 6 years now, so I am
well aware of their "character".

One of the reasons I'll be recommending it is that I'll continue to use
it and I can remotely administer her system, so whatever I do for my
system I will also do for hers.  I don't want to have to be
knowledgeable in 2 different releases.