Audio vs ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Nov 29 14:00:59 UTC 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008 06:46, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Up2date reinstall of the latest FU8 respin.
>
> The various audio devices found by an lspci -vv on this mobo are:
> ======
> 00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev
> a2) Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81f6
>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> ======
> 01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
>         Subsystem: Creative Labs Unknown device 1001
>         Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy
>         Kernel modules: snd-emu10k1
> =======
> 03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa10
>         Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Unknown device aa10

>         Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>         Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
> =======
>
> And there is also a pcHDTV-3000 which has a connexant audio but its
> obviously a mic level output, and since tvtime doesn't work on the video
> card associated with the last device listed above, the point is moot till
> it does work.
>
> The first device above I have not been able to get a peep out of, so I've
> made the second one, the Audigy2, the default.  And I have NDI where to
> plug anything that looks like audio into that ATI based HD-2400-Pro video
> card, but lspci says its there.
>
> Testing the sound for the audigy2 in system-config-soundcard works, but
> places like utube are silent.  As is cnn et all since the last reboot.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> do we have a 'vu meter' that can be switched to monitor the various audio
> inputs?
>
> And when I had to reinstall, I see that pulseaudio was installed, and a now
> frozen 'lsof|grep audio' returns this, but has not returned a prompt.
> [root at coyote cards]# lsof |grep audio
> pulseaudi  3473      root  txt       REG        8,3    57972
> 53801556 /usr/bin/pulseaudio
> artsd      3528      root  mem       REG        8,3    96380
> 53795593 /usr/lib/libaudio.so.2.4
> artsd      3528      root  mem       REG        8,3   171580
> 5603705 /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so.0.0.2
>
> Is this yet another case where I need to remove as much PA as I can in
> order to get working sound again, or is there a configurator for this PITA
> that might be able to fix this?  The silence here is deafening.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

Hi there Gene.

I think I'd disable Pulseaudio temporarily, and you can do that by just
removing the package, alsa-plugins-pulseaudio. If your using KDE, removing
that package will also remove the kde-settings-pulseaudio package. You can
always reinstall them later, but IIRC Pulseaudio has problems with multiple
cards, but I may be wrong there.

Can you post the output from a few commands, as below.

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/version
grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
/sbin/lsmod | grep snd

If you leave Pulseaudio enabled, alsamixer only shows a single control, but
you can get to the controls for the individual cards (presuming they all show
up in /proc/asound/cards), by opening alsamixer on the CLI, as below.

alsamixer -D hw:0                (that's for card0)
alsamixer -D hw:1                (for card1, and so on)

You may need to set a model option for the onboard card in /etc/modprobe.conf,
to get the necessary mixer controls to show up in alsamixer, or sometimes a
model option is necessary just to get the card detected. Post back the stuff
requested above first, as we need to know the codec that the hda intel card
uses, so as to know which model options to try.

My Asus M2N-X Plus board has sound working out of the box, but to get a CD
slider showing in alsamixer, I have to set a model option as below.
options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig      (just an example)

I do have Fedora 8 on the machine with this mobo.

All the best.

Nigel.