Keyboard layouts in the home directory

Wildemar Wildenburger wildemar at freakmail.de
Sat Nov 29 14:51:42 UTC 2008

Hello there,

I'm currently banging my head over getting Fedora-10 to work properly.
First issue: Keyboard layouts.

I have a custom keyboard layout (via xkb). Previously I fumbled in
the /usr/X11/xkb/* directories to make my customizations visible to the
desktop environment. But what I'd really like is a way to do this from
my home directory, so new installs don't botch my settings all the time
and I don't have to remember the damn procedure (which seems about a
million times more complicated for Gnome than for every other DE out
there, but I digress).

So while this isn't a Fedora question, really (sorry for that), I do
hope that Fedora has an answer for me.

/W