Re; FC10: xterm problem

Marco Guazzone marco.guazzone at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 08:54:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Marco Guazzone
<marco.guazzone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've just installed FC10... beautiful!
>>
>> Actually I've only a problem with xterm.
>> Each time I start xterm, I get an xterm completely black (both
>> background and foreground).
>> However, after typing something and pressing enter, for instance:
>> $ ls <ENTER>
>> the prompt is visible and bg/fg colors are right (grey/black respectively).
>> (Note: a simple terminal "clear" or ^L doesn't work).
>>
>> This problem doesn't happen with gnome-terminal.
>>
>> I use a custom ".Xresources" file (the same I used in FC9) but I don't
>> think this is the cause of the problem.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> -- Marco
>
> Hi!
>
> nobody experience this problem?
> Any help is very appreciated!!
>
> thanks!
>
> -- Marco

I think this is a problem related to Xft fonts.
If I remove my .Xresources file and run from a terminal "xterm",
there's no black screen.
But if I start xterm by specifying a TrueType font:
$ xterm -fa "monospace"
(or:
$ xterm -fa "Courier New"
$ xterm -fa "monospace" -cjk_width
$ xterm -fa "times"
)
I get the black screen problem.
I think this is the time to submit a bug

-- Marco