Problems with kdm in F10 (solved - SELinux issues)

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 15:25:26 UTC 2008

Em Dom 30 Nov 2008, Marcelo Magno T. Sales escreveu:
> People,
>
> I've just installed F10 and have fully updated the system.
> When I replace gdm with kdm, I can only log in to KDE using the root
> account. When I try to log in using a regular user account, I get the
> following error message:
> "Cannot enter home directory. Using /."
> When I click ok, I get this other one:
> "Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation."
>
> If I revert to gdm, everything is fine again. What may be causing
> this problem?
>
> Also, user photos are not shown in kdm. The default image is
> displayed for every user, despite they all have their photos
> configured since before F10 was installed. I did a fresh install of
> F10 (didn't upgrade from F9), but the /home file system was not
> modified. The user photos still appear in Kickoff. KDM was configured
> with System Configuration to show preferentially the user photos and
> use the default image only if users have not provided their own
> photos. Why aren't the user photos displayed in kdm?

Both problems were solved when SELinux was disabled. Now I'm counting 5
weird problems solved by disabling SELinux. SELinux should never have
been enabled by default during installation, let alone Anaconda not
allowing users to disable it during install.
I can only imagine the number of problems novice users face because of
SELinux without being able to solve them, either for not being aware of
SELinux existence and "functionality" or for not knowing how to disable
this damn thing.
Every time I install a new version of Fedora I give SELinux a try and
then always greatly regret I did it later.

[]'s
Marcelo