Yum F9 --> F10, still old F9 packages

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sun Nov 30 18:10:20 UTC 2008

Hi all,

For reasons I don't entirely understand, neither preupgrade nor the DVD
worked for me, so I ended up upgrading from F9 to F10 by means of yum.

Now I have enabled the rpmfusion repos, but I can't upgrade the relevent
packages from that repo as there is a dependency problem with the F9 version
of avidemux installed: an older x264 library. When I try to delete avidemux
using RPM, the latter hangs every time, and I have to kill it in a second
terminal.

Any tricks for getting rid of stubborn old packages?

The command 'package-cleanup --orphans' (from yum utils) indicates there are
a couple hundred fc9 packages still on my system, but doesn't offer a way of
removing them. Is there some other way of getting rid of them in one
operation?

Also, w.r.t rpmfusion, yum keeps quitting with an error message some but not
all of the time:

"Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: rpmfusion-free"

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

-----
  Colin Brace