Sending syslog to another machine

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Sun Nov 30 19:57:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:08:35 +0000,
Timothy Murphy <tim at maths.tcd.ie> wrote :

> I did not understand the README in this directory:
> This file has been superseeded by the fils in the doc folder.
> Please see doc/manual.html for futher details. If you are
> looking for install information doc/install.html is for you!
> If you do not have the doc set, see
>     http://www.rsyslog.com/doc
>
> Where exactly is the doc folder?

Just follow the link above since you have access to the internet.

> I notice that there is no man entry for rsyslog
> but there are man entries for syslog and rsyslog.conf .

Sometimes only the config files are found in the manual pages.  It
assumes that you know what the utility is about in the first place and
that what is most interesting is how to use it eg. by tailoring the
configuration file to your needs.  Makes a lot of sense I find.

Basically rsyslog works like syslog, but adds a few more options.  So
simply specify the server (and optional port) to start with and make a
few tests by using the logger utility.

*.* @@remote-host:514

Replace remote-host with your remote syslog.  514 is the default
well-known syslog port so unless you have set up something else, you
can leave it there.

Don't forget to restart/reload rsyslog (or any other syslog daemon for
that matter) after doing configuration changes.  This sometimes can be
done by simply sending the daemon a HUP signal:

killall -HUP daemon

or by restarting it altogether:

/etc/init.d/daemon restart

Hope this helps.