EeePC 701 : Is pre-upgrade not optional??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Nov 30 21:35:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:03:59 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
	[...]
> 	I'm guessing that by USB you mean a geekstick or thumbstick; I
> don't have F10 on one (yet, anyway). So I decided first to try putting
> my F10 DVD into my external DVD drive, as before, but connecting its USB
> cable to one of my PCs. This time, when I tried telling anaconda first
> to upgrade, it went right on, and has now installed 760 of 1033
> packages, or so it says.
>
> 	I suspect that it helps to have a full sized monitor, which
> doesn't require me to do contortions with Alt & mouse to get to the Next
> button. Stay tuned.

	It claimed to have completed, and told me to reboot, without ever
ejecting the DVD, nor telling me to remove it.

	I pushed the reboot button, and it did -- into install mode. I
stopped that, took the DVD out, and tried again. It got as far as
displaying

"GRUB _" in the upper left corner, and hung there.

	I put the DVD back, called for rescue mode, and tried editing
grub.conf, in very minor ways -- removing rhgb, and little or nothing
else. Same result.

	I tried again with the DVD, telling it to boot from local drive.
This time if displayed

"Booting from local drive

GRUB _"

	-- and hung again.