More RAID-1 problems

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 4 18:51:37 UTC 2008

puilt from jeff at bubble.org wrote:
> I've again run into a problem with RAID-1 on my system.  I can mount all
> the raid volumes using the linux rescue boot option from the install CD.

I have a few questions below...

> My disks (same model drive for both sda and sdb)
> /boot - /dev/md1 (/dev/sda1 & /dev/sdb1)
> / -     /dev/md6 (/dev/sda6 & /dev/sdb6)
> swap -  /dev/md3 (/dev/sda3 & /dev/sdb3)
> /var -  /dev/md5 (/dev/sda5 & /dev/sdb5)
> /usr -  /dev/md2 (/dev/sda2 & /dev/sdb2)
> /home - /dev/md7 (/dev/sda7 & /dev/sdb7)
>
> The system gets to:
>
> Waiting for driver initialization.
> md: md6 stopped.
> mdadm: no devices found for /dev/md6
> md: md3 stopped.
> mdadm: no devices found for /dev/md3
> Trying to resume from /dev/md3
> Creating root device.
> Mounting root filesystem.
> EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
> mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument
> Setting up other filesystems.
> Setting up noew root fs
> setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
> no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
> setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
> Mount failed for selinuxfs on /selinux:  No such file or directory
> Switching to new root and running init.
> unmounting old /dev
> unmounting old /proc
> unmounting old /sys
> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
> Booting has failed.
>

> I've had this problem in the past and I've checked the past suggestions and
> I am still unable to get the system to boot.
>
> What I have done so far (while using the rescue CD)
>
> verified that the UUID's listed in the /etc/mdadm.conf file are correct
> (mdadm -D /dev/mdX matches what's in the conf file).
> Reinstalled grub with "grub-install /dev/sda" and "grub-install /dev/sdb"
> Reviewed bugzilla bugs 447818 & 444237 and tried modifying the
> /etc/rc.sysinit file to create the arrays at boot time.

Since I've never had to do that on any of 10-12 systems, I'm really suspicious
that this is not a step forward.

> Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

If you are naming any partitions in the mdadm.conf, that's probably your
problem. You want to be using the PARTITIONS method, giving only the UUID as a
hint, and letting mdadm find the partitions and put them together. You also may
want to check that the correct mdadm.conf file is in your init file (.img) to
get correct function, particularly if you have chhanged arrays.

Final suggestion: take this to the linux-raid list, it's highly unlikely that
this is a Fedora problem.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>