Failed boot cannot find device

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Oct 9 17:10:09 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Steve West wrote:
>>     I am using EXT3 filesystem. I do not know if I built the kernel as a
>>     module into the kernel, I used the defaults that came with Linux. I
>>     am using an initrd that cam with Fedora. I do not know how to create
>>     initrd with the kernel.
>>
>>     Steve
>>
> Unless you built the ext3 file system drivers, as well as your disk
> controller driver into the kernel, you have no choice but to create
> an initrd for your kernel. You can not use one created for another
> kernel. You can use the mkinitrd command to create it. (See the
> mkinitrd man page on how to use it.)

To elucidate, as root:

	cd /boot
	mkinitrd -f -v initrd-2.6.26.5.img 2.6.26.5

Then edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and make sure the stanza you're
using to boot that kernel has an initrd line like:

	initrd /initrd-2.6.26.5.img

in it.
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -