kaddressbook + openldap

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Oct 10 10:26:29 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> I use dovecot IMAP to keep email on one machine,
>> and basically would like to extend this to distribution lists.
>
> This is where you lose me. I can understand wanting to define a list as
> the result of an LDAP query (rather than having to enumerate all the
> members) but you can do that via your MTA. For example we have public
> IMAP lists defined for "all students", "all faculty" and so on, by
> tweaking our Postfix config. I don't know much about Dovecot but I
> imagine it can also do this. Involving a mail client just seems to be
> the wrong way to go about it.

I'm not sure what you mean by an IMAP list?
I don't see any facility in dovecot to create lists.
(Nb I'm almost completely ignorant of dovecot/IMAP.)

Actually, I found it was only moderately painful
to create kaddressbook distribution lists
from an LDAP address book.
Basically, I listed all the entries in the book in kaddressbook.
This lists the "o" attribute, which I use for distinguishing entries,
and one can go through the list marking entries
with Shift-Left Button, and then add all the marked entries
to a specified distribution list.

I know I could - probably should - have used something like mailman.
But I'm rather taken with the idea of keeping all information
in an LDAP directory on one machine,
which can be accessed over the web.

--
Timothy Murphy