kernel development approach for fedora

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 11 18:39:16 UTC 2008

Mail Lists wrote:
>    Linus switched kernel development away from large releases (odd/even
> major numbers) with infrequent release cycles and instead switched to
> something more continuous - essentially small  rapid changes and
> frequent snapshots to stable.
>
>    Would the kernel release style be suited to fedora - for much the
> same reasons possibly. They seem to manage getting big changes in there
> too. And it would be in spirit with the bleeding edge of we desire in
> fedora.
>
>    This mode would be basically always updating and never/seldom
> installing .. perhaps by some measure the rawhide to stable is similar
> .. but there are definite differences. As rawhide is not merged into
> stable ..so our current method seems to resemble the older kernel
> development approach.

The current path is from rawhide to updates-testing to updates. You can pick the
balance of latest features to stability which suits your needs. If I
          had any suggestions at all on that model, it would be that the barrier
between updates-testing and updates could be a bit higher.

In the human interface, I would like a button for "uncheck all selections, I'll
pick what I want to install." That and a better way to review just a single
category, like security or bug fixes, and skip the enhancements. I seldom
upgrade anything unless it's broken, or has a new feature I *really* want. ;-)

>    Curious what others think

I think the process works very well, in general, and while the changes I noted
above would make it work even better for me, they definitely are only
suggestions, and fall in the "what others think" category.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>