RAID5 + 1 extra disk HOW

roland roland at cat.be
Sun Oct 12 09:21:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 23:56:34 +0200, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> roland wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  I have a  server running on RAID5, on which I would like to add a 4th
>> disk, with a seperated filesystem. I need to have some workspace. The
>> same disk could be used to replace a failing disk.
>>
> This is a spare disk, and can be used only as such. I'm not sure what
> you had in mind by "seperated filesystem," but you can't install another
> drive such that Linux will use the drive in two ways at once. If that
> was your intent it pretty much isn't going to work, and if the spare was
> deployed all data on it would be lost.
>
>> Stuart Sears explaned me howto install this disk as a hot spare, but it
>> looks to me a little bit to dangereous. This server is serving 20
>> workstations, so I need to do this without taking to many risks. I
>> admit to be a novice on the matter of diskmanagement. I always do
>> standard installation of a filesystem.
>>
> Assuming you just want to add a spare, something like this works fine:
> 	mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdf1
> Then a cat of /proc/mdstat should show the device added, running as a
> spare. I did that, then failed one of the existing drives, and the array
> rebuilt on the spare just fine, and I got a message from monitor mode
> saying it happened and was fixed.

I have to mention that the raid5 was build with the IBM utilities on this
server x3500. So I suppose this mdadm wouldn't work. Or am I wrong?
Secondly, I need extra space only as a workarea.
That's why I thought, maybe I can:
- insert a 4th disk and add a filesystem, that isn't part of the raid5.
or
- insert a 4th and 5th disk and configure it as a raid1, to be used for
non critical applications

In case of failure of the raid5, I could could use the 4th disk to replace
the failing disk of the raid5 and let the ibm utilities rebuild the raid5

Does this makes sense?

--
Roland Brouwers
C.A.T. bvba