Two problems in f9 - pulseaudio and kde4 - need suggestions

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Oct 12 11:34:18 UTC 2008

On Sunday 12 October 2008 08:01, William W. Austin wrote:

> The first is a set of problems with pulseaudio.  On my favorite
> workstation, a 64-bit machine with a dual-core cpu, I have both a SB
> Audigy 2 (350) and sound on the mb 8-channel real-tek.
>
> Prior to f9, I have been running both for years without any problems.
> The Audigy has been driving a 5+1 speaker system while the other was
> used to pipe output from a speech synthesizer to a different set of
> speakers.  Until f9 and pulseaudio this worked without a whimper.
>
> I have now spent about 2 weeks reading everything I could find about
> pulseaudio and am beginning to be convinced that either (a) the system
> is inherently not usable for my setup, or (b) someone hosed up the
> implementation used in f9.  From reading the problems in bugzilla -
> especially the ones close as 'not a bug,' I have become convinced that
> my only alternatives are to go back down to f8 OR to remove all
> pulseaudio components from my system and figure out how to wing it from
> there.

> Thanks,
> --
> william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
> "life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."

I can't help with configuring Pulseaudio, as on both F8, and F9 I disabled it,
because sound no longer worked with my Audigy2 soundblaster card. With 2
soundcards I can imagine the problem being even worse.

To disable Pulseaudio, you only need to remove the package
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, which will also remove the kde-settings-pulseaudio
package. By doing this your sound apps will revert to using Alsa directly, as
on earlier versions of Fedora. Hopefully that will be enough, so that you can
get your 2 cards up and running again.

If you have audio apps that use SDL, you can also add this line to ~/.bashrc,
which will remove the hack that SDL programs need, to use Pulseaudio. See
below.

unset SDL_AUDIODRIVER

All the best.

Nigel.