ftp problem

Agile Aspect agile.aspect at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 03:38:23 UTC 2008

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I'm running FC9 on a small LAN that also has some Windows machines. I'd
> like to use one of the linux boxes as an FTP server so that the Windows
> systems can access a directory on that server. None of this has been
> opened to the world outside by opening port 21 on the router -- it's
> strictly "in house." Eventually I'll learn Apache, but FTP looks much
> simpler for what I'd like to do. (Or so I thought :) Here's what I've
> done, following instructions in www.fedoraguide.info:
>
> (1) installed proftpd on the server
> (2) added these lines to the end of the /etc/proftpd.conf file:
>
> <Anonymous /home/magnusg/music/>
>  User            ftp
>  Group            nogroup
>  UserAlias          anonymous ftp
>  DirFakeUser on ftp
>  DirFakeGroup on ftp
>  RequireValidShell      off
>  MaxClients         10
>  DisplayLogin        welcome.msg
>  DisplayFirstChdir      .message
>  <Directory *>
>   <Limit WRITE>
>    DenyAll
>   </Limit>
>  </Directory>
> </Anonymous>
>
> (3) on the server, used system-config-services to enable proftpd on run
> levels 3 and 5
> (4) /etc/init.d/proftpd restart
> (5) on the server, used system-config-firewall to make FTP (with
> Port/Protocol = 21/tcp) a trusted service
> (6) the permissions for the ftp directory look like this:
>
> drwxrwxr-x 17 magnusg magnusg  4096 2008-09-14 18:29 music
>
> But when I try using filezilla from a Windows box, logging in as
> anonymous of port 21, I get these messages:
>
> 220 FTP server ready
> 331 anonymous logon OK...
> 530 unable to set anonymous privileges
> 530 login incorrect
>
> So I seem to be connecting, but not much else. Googling the error
> message leads to others who've had similar problems but (at least so
> far) no one with a solution.... Thanks for any tips on how to proceed.
>
> Jerry

Have you tried

    ftp localhost

from the Linux box?

--
Article. VI. Clause 3 of the constitution of the United States states:

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of
the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers,
both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by
Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test
shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust
under the United States."