yum local repo question

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Oct 13 15:35:36 UTC 2008

can comert wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using a fedora9 edition on my desktop
> i have a limited internet connection. I want to get the links of updates
> from my fedora installed desktop and download updates from a different
> computer (not fedora installed) and then i will copy *.rpm packeges to
> /var/cache/yum/... (optinal to repo)
> So how  can i get the (just) links of needed update packages???

You can keep a copy of /var/cache/yum of a server, and NFS mount it, then create
the links. If you do this for multiple machines you can copy anything they
download to the common repository.

Mount the common repository: mount -o ro,soft server:/export/FC9 /mnt/FC9

Now create symbolic links with a script. I have the script, but it's on a
machine down for the holiday, and I don't have "wake on question" so I can't
boot it from here. This is typed by hand, and is a guide only.

CMN=/mnt/FC9
VAR=/var/cache/yum

# cd and create links
cd $CMN
find */packages -type f |
while read pkg; do
  if [ ! -x $VAR/$pkg ]; then
   # create the directory if missing (for add new repo)
   dir=${pkg%/*}
   [ -d $VAR/$dir ] || mkdir -p $VAR/$dir
   # symbolic link the package
   ln -s $CMN/$pkg $VAR/$pkg