Open Office 3

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 15 12:48:12 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:06:06AM -0400, Jim wrote:
>
>> Dave Feustel wrote:
>>
>>> When will Open Office 3 be available for F9?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Go here and get the RPM and install, it's very easy
>>
>> http://download.openoffice.org/index.html
>>

> Thanks for the link!
> I am a complete newbie with respect to rpms.
> Is there a tutorial on how to download and install rpms in Fedora?
>
> Thanks

 1. Download the 'english' 'RPM' and make a new folder in your home
directory called OO-3 and drag the download file into that OO-3 folder.

2. Open a terminal window and do  su  and password.
     In terminal , do   cd OO-3.
     Then do a copy and paste into the terminal window of line below.
 tar -xvf     OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz

It will make a new folder
OO-3/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/RPMS/ .

Then   cd OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/RPMS/  (be sure to do all
this in SU Terminal).
Then do a   ./setup and install will start, follow instructions, When
you get to the part "Select Additional Componets"
I selected  "Optional Componets" this installs everything    and  do a
Next and follow Instructions.

Be sure to do all this in a SU (Super User Terminal)
I know these instructions maybe a little confusing, but read carefully.

After install is complete, you find the execute files in the /Menu/Office