Why is FC9 mounting my media again?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Oct 23 18:39:28 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:31:19 -0400
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>
>> I really don't want the media mounted, or even the "blank CD" icon
>> on the desktop, I want the optical devices totally ignored unless I manually
>> mount them or burn to them.
>
> Well, my way of avoiding that is to simply not run gnome or kde and
> not have nautilus (which seems to be the program triggering all this)
> active. You might try installing gconf-editor and seeing if there
> are any settings you can see in that to modify nautilus behavior
> (assuming you are using gnome - I don't know what the equivalent is
> for kde).
>
> You could also investigate the /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ directory and
> see about installing some xml magic in there to make hal stop telling
> nautilus anything happened. This, for instance, is my 10-stop-hal-stop.fdi
> file:

I think this is neat, and useful, but I kind of want ignore back a level,
opening the device enough to look for a volume label is probably enough to mess
up the application if it happens at the wrong time.

Thanks for the input, I do find the stanza useful, just not for solving the
initial problem.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>