Newbie: Fresh install of FC9 - Boot hangs after login.

Jonathan Hartzell lexicom at flash.net
Mon Oct 27 17:35:34 UTC 2008

Newbie... My first post! XP (SP3) user, and one of the lucky ones with
no complaints. I'm drawn to the overall enthusiasm and philosophy of
all of you who've embarked on the Linux system adventure and am looking
forward to joining your ranks... but I seem to have stumbled in taking
my first step!

I've taken the best care I can in downloading the full distribution of
FC9, checking the integrity of the download, and checking the integrity
of the resulting DVD. Ran the graphical install (very user-friendly),
to sdb to avoid even a remote possibility of any MBR conflicts (XP is
exclusively on sda) with plenty of free space on sdb (319 gigs). All
went smoothly...

However on the first reboot (booting sdb), I continued to follow the
instructions, only to find that the Login process hung. Do I suck as a
Newbie, or has anyone else encountered this kind of problem?

Note: This being my first shot at Linux-related stuff, I don't have
anything but XP at this point to work with, and I won't have the usual
Linux type tools that most of you have who've simply upgraded to FC9.
I'm hoping one of you can tell me that the fault is mine, rather than
the installer DVD, as I'm concerned that I may not have the tools to
get myself back on the road. Sure would welcome some guidance out of
this apparent dead end!

Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 2.2 GHz

ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 Mother Board

ViewSonic VG2230wm Monitor

Standard 101 Keyboard

Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

4 Gigs Ram

2 500 Gig Sata Drives

NVidia GeForce FX 5500

M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCM sound board

Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Controller

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller

Let me know if any more info required.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.