Unable to connect to a multicast session in Fedora 9 with realtek RTL8111/8168B

Jon Dufresne jon.dufresne at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 00:36:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have been debugging this issue for quite some time and think I have
reproducible evidence that localizes this to the hardware.

I have a single nic, lspci lists it as:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

I want to connect to a multicast session using my Fedora 9. I have
successfully connected to the same multicast session using other PCs,
some running Fedora 9, some running other distos, and some running
Windows. If I put a 3com nic into my box, I am able to successfully
connect to the multicast session using my box.

I broke this down to a very simple program. I now just do the bare
minimum to connect to the stream. I am going to attach the c file of
the program. When I run this on a working computer, it gets through
the loop grabbing data off the multicast session. When I run this on
my box with the realtek chip, the program block on the call recvfrom()
forever.

I am left to conclude this is a bug in the realtek driver that is
preventing proper joining of a multicast session.

Any idea about how to resolve this or test it further?

Thanks,
Jon