Dropping Mac for Linux

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Oct 30 13:47:13 UTC 2008

kevin kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I ran Linux as my main laptop OS for several years, then I got into a
> mac shop and bought a macbook.
> The macbook is ok but it just doesn't cut it per productivity so I've
> ordered another laptop
> (a 64bit laptop with 8G of memory expandable to 16G and 2 internal 320G
> 7200rpm drives)
>
> I'll be loading Linux as soon as the machine arrives from Dell.
>
> Here's my questions:

I'll answer what I know (or at least think I know)

> 1) Is KDE4 stable enough for day2ay use ?

I believe it is. I've used it since 4.0.0 was released and it's grown by
leaps and bounds in stability and usability.  I've not switched back to
KDE3 since about 4.0.4.

> 2) Does anyone know if Kpilot is working with Palm Centro phones ? Is
> there a better solution besides Kpilot ?

I've heard it does, with some tweaking, but I've not seen it work, since
I don't own that type of phone.

> 3) Does Kmail support Exchange yet ?

Not as a full Exchange client, but then, Outlook barely works as a full
Exchange client.  It works great with Exchange via IMAP and there are
tutorials on how to configure Address lookups via LDAP.

> 4) Is there a way to migrate apple mail messages to Kmail ?

I do not know.  Even a quick Google didn't really show anything that
struck me as a way to do so, but YMMV.

> 5) Is there a way to migrate apple address book and calendar events to
> the KDE address book and calendar ?

See above.

> Thanks in advance...

HTH.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support