fedora installation

Jerry Ro jerrro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:14:10 UTC 2008

Hello,

> * last, i tried running the Live CD for x86_64 of fedora 9. i had a
> > weird experience - fedora loaded, but no text appeared. instead it was
> > all black empty spots ("null" font). should i be worried about that
> > when coming to install fedora in fully?
>
> Maybe a problem with your video chipset, but you don't identify the
> laptop so it's hard to say. It's probably fixable though.

My laptop is a Thinkpad x61 tablet from Lenovo... Maybe I should find a way
to configure the video card from the live cd, the thing is - I cannot do
that because I have no idea what's going on the screen as far as text goes.
By-the-way, I ran Fedora 9 live cd on a thinkpad t42 (same cd), and
everything went well as far as video goes.

> > * i read somewhere that someone installed fedora 64bit on a laptop
> > x61t like mine, and complained that everything was incredibly slow.
> > once he re-installed the 32bit version, it became much better. i would
> > like to use a 64bit version still... should i be worried about having
> > the same behavior?
>
> Same Fedora version? Same amount of RAM? I'm surprised but go with
> 32-bit if you're nervous about it.
>
> No, I think I will try the 64bit version... and if it has the same
behavior, I will just change it to 32bit.

Thanks for your quick response.

jerr.