Which one is better Ubuntu Or Fedora 9

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Oct 30 18:04:03 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:45:18 -0700
>> makhlina at gmail.com (Alex Makhlin) wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Which one do you think is better and for what reasons. Ubuntu or
>>> Fedora 9. Personally I like Fedora 9.
>>>
>> I'll tell you the same thing here that I tell folks in the #fedora IRC
>> channel:
>>
>> Both distros have live media. Why don't you download them and try out
>> each and decide for yourself which one you like?
>>
>> kevin
>>

> Good advice.
>
> I was installing Linux for a friend, and figured I'd give them Ubuntu
> as I it would hopefully be easier for them than Fedora. Tried the
> LiveCD, kept freezing up (requiring hard restarts). Did an install
> figuring I just needed to update to a new kernel, pre and post full
> system update, still kept hard freezing. So I went back to old
> faithful Fedora.

Yeah, well, I discovered for me, the freezup is caused by screensaver.
When you boot
up, go directly to screensaver and disable it completely.  After that -
it stayed up all
night and into the next day and to the evening.  One thing I like about
the Ubuntu
LiveCD is that they included partition manager - something that is
lacking in Fedora's
F9 LiveCD but then again, Ubuntu lacks mkinitrd which is available in
F9.  So, I
guess it is the small difference.  Also, as for F9, they have newer
applications for which
Ubuntu is "behind" for example parition manager they have does not
support labeling
and Nautilus is older - but then again Ubuntu has a longer shelf-life
and of course you
have to wait for newer updates if and when they become available or
build it yourself.

I guess from my standpoint Ubuntu is very good with support, they are
somewhat more
stable and not a fast-moving target which could upset people who don't
want instability
too quick and too soon (like my kids or Mom and Pop who are computer
illiterate)

Both Ubuntu and Fedora are fabulous, but I am still a die-hard Fedorian ;)

Dan