Updates caused problems...

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Oct 1 18:31:49 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 10:38 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
>
> > Clearly:
> >
> > 1) Kernel 2.6.26.3-29.f9.i686:
> >      Does not work for two different motherboards/systems,
> >     nor for: Renich Bon Ciric <renich at woralelandia.com>
> >     so, I do not think this problem is `unique' to me.  This kernel
> >     is a show-stopper - so I have to revert to the previous kernel
> >     version for now and hope a later update will resolve this issue.
> >
> > 2) The startup Gui stopped working due to latest updates (as of last
> week)
> >      and if this is `unique' to me, then I will just ignore this and
> *maybe*
> >      later updates will automagically repair it - as it sits now, it is
> > not a
> >      show-stopper because ignoring the startup gui, in the end, the
> login
> >      gui still appears.
> >
> > 3) The livna issue is a seperate issue - and is not a show-stopper
> as I have
> >     removed them (kmod/akmod) and I know I can at least let the livna
> >     group know about it.  It is obvious to me that kmod-ndiswarpper
> >     expects an older kernel (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686) which is no longer
> >     available in the repos.  Many of the other kmods reported many
> >     other dependencies as well - so it appears that livna is `out of
> sync',
> >     perhaps but I will resolve this later - and focus on my main issues
> >     (1) and (2)
> >
> > Ignoring the Livna issue, (1) and (2) remains and is unique to Fedora
> > since these kernels comes from the Fedora repos and has nothing to
> > do with Livna (so I think).
> >
> > Are you are telling me (and others) to use Bugzilla and not to report
> > individual problem issues here in this list because these are `unique'
> > problems?  How does one know if they are unique problems before
> > they post it?  And even if they are `unique' - what are they supposed
> > to do?  What is the point of this mailing list with the following
> > statement:
> >
> > "Community assistance, encouragement,and advice for using Fedora"
> >
> > You come across as if to to say: "go to livna" and ignore the the other
> > two problems reported altogether?
> >
> > This sort of reply does nothing to encourage people like myself to
> > remain a faithful user to Fedora and I am almost beginning to see
> > why, but I am not deterred - just a little bit disappointed.
> >
> > I would have at least expected a little direction as how to handle
> > each of the problems reported, explain if there is a problem or not,
> > perhaps a link, perhaps what to report, with what expected information,
> > etc, so that at least I am not left perplexed as to what I really
> need to do
> > next.
> ----
> OK - I too will ignore the livna items
>
> I think you can lean on the list all you wish. In fact, you seem to lean
> [...]
Thank you for letting me know how you feel.  Perhaps I do lean on this
list for the reasons stated (1) to discover if the problem reported has
already
been reported and/or there is a fix and/or someone is working on it and
(2) to let anyone know about it so they can benefit from the posting if it
concerns them.  I know that many have responded asking for details
especially if the problem has been resolved by me or if others have
resolved it - a networked community helping each other out which
is the benefit of using this list in the first place.  IMO, there are a few
people esp. newbies,  go to a Bugzilla site to search for answers to
their specific problems - simply because - it is not that simple to find
so this mailing list provides them that "forum" where they can ask
about it and hopefully someone might know, and help out.

I have been resistant to using Bugzilla because it is a pain for me since
I use it so rarely and trying to fill in the fields for which I have not
a clue
such as to what product/component the product/issue involves,  what
relevant data to provide which requires an intimate technical detail
level that a professional Fedora expert might know which can be beyond
a (semi) newbie's depth. But, I will try with each passing day to `get
used to it' and maybe it will become easier over time.

Kind regards,
Dan