64 Bit Linux shows 4GB... was Using all of 4GB RAM...

Theodore Papadopoulo Theodore.Papadopoulo at sophia.inria.fr
Thu Oct 2 07:37:44 UTC 2008

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> Dennis Gilmore suggested that I boot a 64 bit Live CD to see what it
> said about memory usage.  So I did:
>
> [fedora at localhost ~]$ free -m
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:          3969       1286       2682          0        143
> 827
> -/+ buffers/cache:        315       3654
> Swap:         1992          0       1992
>
> Here is what it looks like under my 32 bit installation:
>
> $ free -m
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:          3034        978       2055          0         33
> 619
> -/+ buffers/cache:        326       2708
> Swap:         1992          0       1992
>
> I appear to gain 935MB of RAM running the 64 bit version.  This is in
> spite of the spec sheet on my laptop saying:

Could it be simply that free does not show the space needed by the
kernel.... which needs (at least some parts of it)
to be constantly in memory. I do not think that 127Mb is such a big
price to pay for the kernel. Note that to use your
memory in a single process you need x86-64. The standard x86 linux
limits the processes memory to 2Gb.