Windows XP & Fedora on one computer

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 13:32:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 05:09:49PM +0400, isad ilexa17 wrote:
> I have the following problem:
> Windows XP is installed on my computer and I want to
> install Fedora keeping Windows alive (bootable).
> Thanks and sorry for my bad English.

This is not a difficult problem to solve, fortunately! :-) You simply
need to have sufficient free space in the partition itself, or on the
hard disk outside that partition.  Most people find themselves in the
first situation.  You may find things work best if you go to your
Control Panel > Administration Tools > Computer Management > Disk
Management, and analyze and defragment your partition first.  I'm
afraid help with Windows is outside this list's topic, but the
procedure should be a fairly simple point-and-click operation.

Once you've done that, during the Fedora installation, you can edit
the existing Windows XP partition on your disk during the disk
partitioning step.  Most people choose "Custom setup" for the disk
partitioning to get into the partition editing screen.  Click the
checkbox to resize the existing Windows partition to leave enough
space for Fedora.  Then establish partitions for the Fedora
installation.  You can find more information about disk partitioning
here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/ch-disk-partitioning.html

I recommend reading all of Chapter 12, but especially these sections:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-partitioning-general.html
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-partitioning-advice.html

Fedora automatically detects your Windows XP installation and sets up
a dual-boot configuration for you.  When you boot your computer, you
are able to choose between booting Fedora or Windows by interrupting
the GRUB boot screen with any key.