active connection problem

Fred Silsbee fredsilsbee at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 01:39:18 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 10/3/08, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> From: Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> Subject: Re: active connection problem
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, October 3, 2008, 1:00 AM
> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 14:30 +0900, 최용주 wrote:
> > I installed the Fedora 9 and set the IP address,
> netmask, gateway, so
> > on…
> >
> > But after installation the active connection
> information is not a
> > setting I made.
>
> During the installation, you're configuring the
> *installer's* network.
> The installed system's network is configured
> separately.
>
> > How to change the ip address?
> >
> > And the network device control was setting as I set.
>
> Network Manager handles the network, by default.  But it
> expects there
> to be a DHCP server on the network to configure it.  If you
> don't have
> one on your network, then turn off the NetworkManager
> service and turn
> the network service on.  For some people, they'll want
> to, or need to,
> do that regardless.
>
> If you're using Gnome, look through the System menu.
> The administration
> sub-menu has a "network" item, it runs
> "system-config-network" (you can
> run that command, regardless of whether you run Gnome or
> another window
> manager).  This will allow you to configure the network in
> the older
> way.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.26.3-29.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox
> is ignored.  I
> read messages from the public lists.

OK OK I am going blind. I have looked through the popup menu for KDE 4.1.1  until I turned green but I do not see Network Manager.

yumex says it is installed...maybe it is a gnome thing

I found network config and network device control but no network manager.

I could not find kpowersave except in the system tray as a power plug icon.

kpowersave had options relating to the screensaver