playing mpeg has cone screwey.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 3 18:11:01 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Well two things. Playing mpeg video in Firefox worked up to last week.
> Now it doesn't. So it must be an update that fouled things up.
> Second , I have a perfect record. Fedora totem has never worked for me
> ever. Previously to get totem to work I had to install totem-xine from
> livna. And that what works on my F8 machine. Totem currently does not
> work on my F9 machine. Changing to vlc made things work. Further,
> totem-xine no longer exists at livna.
>
> It is hard to believe that no one else has noticed this. Why don't you
> try it and see whether it works now for you. I have never before seen
> this propriety format message.

A few things:

Totem can use two different multimedia frameworks - gstreamer and xine.
By default it uses gstreamer. It used to be that totem-xine was a
separate package in a different repository. Now it is just part of
Fedora and a sub package of totem in the official repository itself.

If you want Totem to work with other multimedia formats, you need to
install gstreamer-plugins-ugly, gstreamer-ffmpeg and potentially
gstreamer-plugins-bad.

If you want to install additional codecs support for Xine, install
xine-lib-extras.

Rahul