playing mpeg has cone screwey.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 3 20:27:01 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> OK, installing those extra rpms make totem work. But that leaves us with
> two questions:
> 1. Why did the displaying of the videos work until yesterday?

I have no idea.

> 2. If these rpms are necessary to make totem work why are they not
> installed as dependencies when totem is installed?

By default, Fedora includes support for open and non patent encumbered
formats via gstreamer and xine. The additional codecs are included in
other third party repositories and they are optional. Fedora cannot
include them for well known reasons as I have explained in length to you
before.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems

Rahul