playing mpeg has cone screwey.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 3 20:55:27 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 01:57 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> OK, installing those extra rpms make totem work. But that leaves us with
>>> two questions:
>>> 1. Why did the displaying of the videos work until yesterday?
>> I have no idea.
> I have no idea either. But something is wrong with the uopdates it seems
> to me.

If you figure out specifics, then you can file bug reports.

> All of that would be fine if you did not tell me to install rpms
> supplied by Fedora to make totem work.

It is not necessary for Totem to "work". Ogg for example works just fine
without these additional packages.

I understand why you can not
> supply propriety codecs but why can't the rpms you told me to install be
> suppled by default. They are not propriety.

There are two basic classes of software that Fedora excludes:

1) Non-free software
2) Free but other legal issues such as patents.

The additional packages I told you about falls into the second class.

Rahul