More RAID-1 problems

jeff at bubble.org jeff at bubble.org
Sat Oct 4 14:04:46 UTC 2008

I've again run into a problem with RAID-1 on my system.  I can mount all
the raid volumes using the linux rescue boot option from the install CD.

My disks (same model drive for both sda and sdb)
/boot - /dev/md1 (/dev/sda1 & /dev/sdb1)
/ -     /dev/md6 (/dev/sda6 & /dev/sdb6)
swap -  /dev/md3 (/dev/sda3 & /dev/sdb3)
/var -  /dev/md5 (/dev/sda5 & /dev/sdb5)
/usr -  /dev/md2 (/dev/sda2 & /dev/sdb2)
/home - /dev/md7 (/dev/sda7 & /dev/sdb7)

The system gets to:

Waiting for driver initialization.
md: md6 stopped.
mdadm: no devices found for /dev/md6
md: md3 stopped.
mdadm: no devices found for /dev/md3
Trying to resume from /dev/md3
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up noew root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Mount failed for selinuxfs on /selinux:  No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Booting has failed.

I've had this problem in the past and I've checked the past suggestions and
I am still unable to get the system to boot.

What I have done so far (while using the rescue CD)

verified that the UUID's listed in the /etc/mdadm.conf file are correct
(mdadm -D /dev/mdX matches what's in the conf file).
Reinstalled grub with "grub-install /dev/sda" and "grub-install /dev/sdb"
Reviewed bugzilla bugs 447818 & 444237 and tried modifying the
/etc/rc.sysinit file to create the arrays at boot time.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff