IPV6INIT=no, but does anyway on local network

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 14:15:59 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> How does one go about disabling that?

It's not easy.  The Linux kernel automatically assigns a link-local IPv6
address to any interface that's brought up.  If you don't want to use
IPv6 at all, you can use /etc/modprobe.conf to prevent the appropriate
module from being loaded.  (ISTR that it used to be called net-pf-10,
but that module doesn't seem to exist anymore; I'd try disabling the
ipv6 module.)

To get rid of the IPv6 address on a particular interface, you should be
able to use some variation of 'ip addr ...'.

The only way I know of to prevent the kernel from assigning an address
when an interface is brought up is to set the MTU to a ridiculously low
value before bringing the interface up.  If the MTU is too low for IPv6
to work, the kernel won't assign the address.  Once the interface is up,
you can set the MTU back to what you want and assign an IPv4 address (if
desired).  Needless to say, this is an ugly hack, and it's not supported
by the networking scripts.

HTH