How is KDE4 supposed to be used ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 20:38:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 21:14 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> It is obvious that KDE4 is meant to be used with a different mindset
> (no icons
> on the desktop, desktop is not a folder, everything you can see is a
> window
> or a widget, etc...), but the question is actually *why* is it
> different and
> *how* is one supposed to think in order to make optimum usage of it.
> believe some users are trying to forcibly configure it to behave like
> KDE3,
> and are frustrated by the process and the results. The "why" question
> is
> obvious somehow...
>
> Note, I did some reading on the sugested websites that explain this in
> some
> sense, but I still fail to see the actual benefit of this paradigm
> shift. So
> I'd be grateful if someone explained this in a nutshell, and I believe
> this
> is what OP also wants. I also like it and use it on a daily basis,
> but
> somehow feel that I am missing the idea of how it is intended to be
> used.

You said it better than I did.

I don't "get" KDE4.  The big thing I missed from KDE3 was a desktop with
real folders on it that I could drag and drop to my heart's content.
KDE has "folder view" that one can use to display a folder and one can
put the icon for a folder on the desktop, but I don't see how that is
better than what we had with KDE3.

All I see so far is that KDE4 is different.  I don't get how it is
better.

The management and control of the desktop area is what I don't
understand.  Its like we added a layer of complexity (ie using folder
view and having to use an icon on the desktop to represent the folder)
and I am not following why its better.  I don't see anything we couldn't
have done in KDE3 if we would have added widgets to it.

Why did they not allow the user to have a traditional desktop that
displayed the entire contents of the Desktop folder ?

Thanks