How is KDE4 supposed to be used ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Oct 5 02:02:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 18:10 -0400, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 16:05 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > I personally feel that the 'folder view' widget is a waste of energy
> > and
> > of no real value and just resort to using Dolphin and in fact, moved
> > all
> > of the files and folders off my desktop and just keep a couple of
> > 'launchers' there. It is a prettier desktop and once I adjusted my
> > expectations, there actually is little difference.
>
> That is exactly what happened to me.   Only I had ~50 files and folders
> on my desktop (across 2 20" 1680x1050 monitors).   Using Dolphin instead
> of just moving things on the desktop itself was a HUGE pain.
>
> Furthermore, when one views files in a file manager like Dolphin, you
> can't "clump" the files together in groups like you can on the desktop.
>
> With KDE4, one could make an icon for every file/folder you wanted on
> the Desktop, but that is an extra step too.
>
> I'm hoping that the future KDE4 desktops support traditional drag and
> drop desktop file/folder management.  I think folder view is a useful
> ADDITION to a traditional desktop.   I don't think it supplants it.
----
it does appear that an 'upgrade' from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4 (i.e. Fedora 8 to
Fedora 9) would put an icon for each file on the desktop but it's rather
easy to click them closed and the icons are gone.

As for it being a pain to use a file manager like Dolphin rather than
just being able to drag and drop from the desktop...you better get used
to that because the Desktop is no longer an active player in file
management with KDE. I think that suggesting it was a pain to use a file
manager is somewhat absurd. What you are saying is that your
expectations are not realized and to that, I am sympathetic but not to
the suggestion that it is somehow painful.

Craig