Fedora-10 boot from hard disk

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Oct 5 10:55:12 UTC 2008

I've been trying to boot Fedora-10 from the hard disk.
More precisely, I have the DVD ISO on / partition.
I have abstracted the isolinux directory with "mount -o loop"
and copied it to /boot ;
and I have abstracted install.img and copied it to / .
Then I added a stanza to /etc/grub to boot
from the isolinux kernel and initrd .

It seems to me that F-10 is different to previous Fedoras,
in that when you boot from the isolinux files,
it looks for install.img rather than the ISO.
In fact it does not look at the ISO at all,
but rather downloads all the packages from the internet.

As it happens, this works;
but after downloading the packages and installing the bootloader
it bombs out with an exception in /usr/bin/anaconda line 946
that it "needs more than 1 value to unpack".

I'll post a proper bugzilla;
but for the moment I'm just asking about the mechanism
for installing from the hard disk.
Has it indeed changed?

--
Timothy Murphy