Why is Firefox such a beast??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Oct 5 19:46:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 12:48:29 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 18:00:09 +0000 (UTC) Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net>
> wrote:
>
>> 	Maybe I'm just outta my depth here. I have to say that config
>> file would take me years of effort just to read through.
>
> It only takes a second to run a text search on squid.conf, you don't
> have to read the whole thing.

	A text search on what? Hostname? I'll try to remember that trick
next time.

> #  TAG: visible_hostname
> #       If you want to present a special hostname in error messages,
> etc, #       define this.  Otherwise, the return value of gethostname()
> #       will be used.

	With that parenthesis, that looks like a command; so I tried it :

[btth at Hbsk2 ~]$ gethostname
bash: gethostname: command not found
[btth at Hbsk2 ~]$

	(Same result as root, btw)

> If you have multiple caches in a cluster and #
>   get errors about IP-forwarding you must set them to have individual #
>      names with this setting.

	Caches? Cluster?? Geek to me...

> #
> #Default:
> # none
>
> I don't have any special setting for that in the squid.conf file on my
> F8 and Centos 5 computers.  I vaguely remember having to set that option
> previously; I think it was when I was using a single-word name for my
> computer.  After I started using a "fully qualified" name, I no longer
> had to set it.  (This computer is named mutt.melvilletheatre.net -- if I
> had named it mutt then I would have to put a fully qualified name in the
> squid.conf file.)

	Hmmm .... I left "localdomain" on all mine, for fear of getting
in trouble if I changed it. Maybe I should?

> What do you get when you type
>
> hostname
>
> at a bash prompt?

[btth at Hbsk2 ~]$ hostname
Hbsk2.localdomain
[btth at Hbsk2 ~]$

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 2.00, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3