F9 KDE4 running ssh-add at login

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Sun Oct 5 22:05:00 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am running Fedora 9, with KDE4, and am trying to get ssh-add to prompt
me for my passphrase when KDE starts up. Actually it does prompt me, but
the problem seems to be that it never remembers the passphrase. I always
have to manually run 'ssh-add' from the command-line, and then enter the
passphrase.

I see that others have had a similar problem (and not just Fedora
users), but none of the solutions work. I have tried adding a soft link
to 'ssh-add' in the ~/.kde/Autostart directory; I currently have a very
small shell script that calls '/usr/bin/ssh-add' in the Autostart
directory; I have also tried these solutions in the ~/.kde/env
directory; and finally I have tried using ksshaskpass, which also did
not work, but as far as I can tell this only works for KDE3 at the
moment.

Putting in some simple echo commands (redirected to a file), I can see
that the script in Autostart is being run, and that ssh-agent is
running.

Anyone got a solution for this?

Thanks,

John.