RAID5 + 1 extra disk HOW

roland roland at cat.be
Mon Oct 6 09:31:27 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have a  server running on RAID5, on which I would like to add a 4th
disk, with a seperated filesystem. I need to have some workspace. The same
disk could be used to replace a failing disk.

Stuart Sears explaned me howto install this disk as a hot spare, but it
looks to me a little bit to dangereous. This server is serving 20
workstations, so I need to do this without taking to many risks. I admit
to be a novice on the matter of diskmanagement. I always do standard
installation of a filesystem.

So if someone could tell me howto do this in a simple way. I searched the
internet for a simple howto, but was unsuccessful. I have to do this at a
client in France, few hours driving

Could someone keep me from having a sleepless night?
--
Roland Brouwers
C.A.T. bvba