Postfix errors in Logwatch

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Tue Oct 7 11:50:51 UTC 2008

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Over the past couple of weeks or so, I have noted new error messages in
> Logwatch pertaining to Postfix.
[...]
>         1   Oct  5 21:38:28 WALL-E postfix/smtp[7960]: connect to
> ghost.localhost.com[10.11.12.13]:25: Connection timed out

10.11.12.13 is in the private address space. The whole 10.x.x.x block is
reserved for use on private networks and should not be routed on the public
Internet. That's why Postfix can't connect to that address.

It seems like your Postfix has a message that it's trying to deliver to an
address in the domain "localhost.com", or some other domain for which the
mail server is specified as "ghost.localhost.com".

The command "dig ghost.localhost.com SOA" tells me that the authoritative name
server for localhost.com is ghost.wraith.com. Its IP address is
209.169.17.198. These commands will tell you more:

dig ghost.localhost.com ANY @ghost.wraith.com
dig localhost.com ANY @ghost.wraith.com
whois 209.169.17.198
whois localhost.com
whois wraith.com

Publishing domain names that resolve to private addresses does not in itself
cause any harm, but if anyone is using such domains in URLs or sending out
email with sender addresses in such domains, then that's not a nice thing to
do.

Björn Persson