Setup a Launcher(wine) for both Gnome/KDE and how to lock wallpaper and icons

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Oct 8 16:56:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 19:35:34 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Dear fellow fedora users,
>
> I run a windows binary using wine in several machines that I have in the
> classroom.  Some run KDE and some run GNOME, one machine runs Fedora 7,
> another runs Fedora 8 and a third runs Fedora 9.  Two of the three run
> KDE while one runs GNOME as the default.  Both Desktops are installed.
> I run Virtual Calculator
>
> http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/84/8442.html
>
> on the machines so that students can use a virtual calculator(no
> batteries get lost, actual calculators get lost/misplaced/stolen,...
> etc).  I run it with a command from a terminal shell:
>
> [olivares at localhost ~]$ wine ~/Virtual\ Calculator/Vti.exe &
>
> I have tried to create launchers under both GNOME/KDE but they do not
> run successfully.  The calculator resides in a student directory with
> their own account.  same command as above.  How can I create a launcher
> correctly.  I have tried drag and drop the executable unto the desktop,
> but it does not work all of the time.
>
> Also, how can I protect the compter from how I have it setup so that
> students cannot change the background, move the icons and mess with the
> settings.  They have crashed the KDE 4 desktop several times and I have
> to reset the bottom panel back to how I like it.  I have created a copy
> of the ~/.kde directory like $ mkdir -p ~/.kde_backup
> $ cp -ra ~/.kde ~/.kde_backup
>
> and when something goes bad or not to my liking I restore everything by
> brute force.  Is there a more efficient way?

	If you're in North America, try asking what your local public
library does. Most of them have one or another of two or three programs
which, daily at the library's closing time, automatically purge all
changes made during the day. Those are probably Windows programs, but
there might be one that will run under wine. (I'd bet that other
libraries in other parts of the world have such software, too; but I
don't know for sure.)

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 2.00, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3