kernel development approach for fedora

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 18:30:42 UTC 2008

Mail Lists wrote:
>    Linus switched kernel development away from large releases (odd/even
> major numbers) with infrequent release cycles and instead switched to
> something more continuous - essentially small  rapid changes and
> frequent snapshots to stable.
>
>    Would the kernel release style be suited to fedora - for much the
> same reasons possibly. They seem to manage getting big changes in there
> too. And it would be in spirit with the bleeding edge of we desire in
> fedora.
>
>    This mode would be basically always updating and never/seldom
> installing .. perhaps by some measure the rawhide to stable is similar
> .. but there are definite differences. As rawhide is not merged into
> stable ..so our current method seems to resemble the older kernel
> development approach.
>
>    Curious what others think

We regularly rebase packages, including the kernel, to new upstream
versions after a release, but we do this only after they've received
significant testing exposure in rawhide and updates-testing.  If you
want the bleeding-edge packages, just enable the rawhide repository by
default and pray that nothing breaks.

-- Chris