kernel development approach for fedora

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 21:19:12 UTC 2008

Mail Lists wrote:
> On 10/10/2008 03:49 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Mail Lists wrote:
>>>   In this new mode we would have only  2 streams -  current development
>>> and stable.
>
>> There are a few distributions that do this - Gentoo, Arch etc. Each has
>> it's advantages and disadvantages. One of the problems of rolling
>> release model distributions in a mass scale is that, it is pretty
>> difficult to stabilize even to a nominal level.
>>
>> Rahul
>>

>    While that is true, the argument goes that large periodic releases
> has drawbacks too - and the kernel seems to be do pretty well with its
> approach ... I still wonder whether the kernel way may work for fedora ..

The rolling release model works well for distributions that simply follow
upstream, but Fedora is often *ahead* of upstream on several features.  We need
to maintain a bit more stability with the baseline package so we can safely add
the innovative patches that aren't yet in Linus's kernel tree.

-- Chris