Wireless, Broadcom

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 11 18:52:30 UTC 2008

Jeroen de Haas wrote:

> There is a tutorial on setting up ndiswrapper on Fedora:
> http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/ndis-yum-livna . This text assumes
> you have configured yum to use the livna repository (which does contain
> the ndiswrapper packages) as explained in
> http://fedoramobile.org/solved/post-install-solutions/yum-config/ .

I have very mixed feelings about using Windows drivers for much of anything,
perhaps too many urban legends about an IRQ coming in while the driver is
running in a privileged mode. There are new Broadcom drivers coming in the
future, but at the rate I see progress that might be after the stock market gets
back to 14000. :-(

An alternate solution, which I'm using, is to buy a USB wireless modem and use
that. Clearly not the optimal solution, but one which avoids the issues with
running NDIS drivers.

Consider this an alternate solution, not a statement that NDIS is evil. Well,
Fedora doesn't include it for various reasons, but many people disagree.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>