DHCP will not grab ip.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 12 03:38:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 13:55 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Wasn't used before, but the setup greyed out the channel setting in
> "Managed" mode.

That's to be expected, in managed mode you're connecting to an access
point, and *it* manages that.  It picks the channel (or is preset to use
a particular one), and all the clients scan the channels to find the
local access point, and use that one.

> I do go to one site which has two AP with the same name, different
> channels, and different keys. I didn't design their network, and while
> I can see the need for two AP and keys, I see no benefit from using
> the same name.

That's probably poor configuration - many access points come with a
predefined name (e.g. calling themselves "linksys") and their owners
never bother to change them.

There is a use for having access points with the same ID, so that users
roaming through a large complex could just connect to "college" with the
nearest access point answering to that name.  Though you'd also have the
same key on all the access points.  That leaves users with just one
thing to configure (what key goes with what name), the client will scan
the channels to find an access point, you wouldn't try hard setting one.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.