Ktorrent is eating all my cpu

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 16:54:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 15:07 +0000, g wrote:

> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> <snip>
> > A look at
> > 'top' confirmed that Ktorrent (downloading a single torrent) was using
> > about 80% of my cpu. The X server was using most of the rest.
>
> poc,
>
> if you define word 'torrent', you may have a better understanding to fact
> that ktorrent is doing what it should.
>
> i have found that in using ktorrent and ctorrent, both are cpu intensive.
>
> if you want to cut it back, remove some of torrent's dl sites and disable
> your 'supplying'.

Frankly, that's not a convincing explanation. Torrents are almost
entirely I/O bound, and this is a DSL connection rated at 2Mbps which in
fact is less than that in practice. No way could a torrent client be
eating 80% of a 64-bit Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM. It's just not
reasonable.

Thanks all the same.

poc