Ktorrent is eating all my cpu

Jason Turning jturning at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 12 18:23:40 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Well, not quite, but I was alerted to this when my fan started whining
> and the cpu temperature rose about 5 degrees above normal. A look at
> 'top' confirmed that Ktorrent (downloading a single torrent) was using
> about 80% of my cpu. The X server was using most of the rest.
>
> This is F9 with KDE 4.1.1.
>
> I updated to KDE 4.1.2 (using "yum groupupdate KDE" from
> updates-testing) but it made no difference (actually, the whole machine
> started crawling until I disabled Desktop Effects, which hadn't seemed
> to matter before, but even after doing that Ktorrent was just as bad).
>
> Is this a known bug with Ktorrent? I've been using it happily for a
> couple of years and haven't had this happen before, but now it means I
> can't use it without risking damage to my motherboard, which makes me
> uneasy ...
>
> poc

Try rtorrent. It's CLI, but easy to learn and use. Far more efficient, takes a
sixth or less of the CPU resources even with a bunch of torrents active as well
as less memory than ktorrent. rtorrent uses libtorrent, both written in C++
with an emphasis on speed and efficiency, while delivering equivalent features
to GUI based clients in a ncurses based client. Benefits are you can run it in
a screen session and it persists even if you log out of your PC, or possibly
have to reset your X session as well as accessing remotely via SSH.

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/

--
Jason Turning