EeePC - to Fedora or not?

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 12 19:26:51 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 14:24:03 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>

>> I recently acquired an Asus EeePC-1000 (the Linux version with a 40GB
>> SSD).
>> I don't really like the Linux system running on the machine, and am
>> thinking about installing Fedora instead or in addition.
>>

> 	I nearly lost my breakfast looking at Xandros; Windows in drag --
> and, of course, in cahoots with MegaSleazo. *Lots* of alternatives are
> better, especially on one with that much space.
>

>> What actually are the advantages of Fedora in this case? Also, will I
>> have any problems with WiFi, which works very well in the current
>> system?
>>

> 	Wifi troubles vary, in all sorts of ways. But for the most
> overview, go to http://forum.eeeuser.com/ and look around. (There is even
> (or was) something called EeeDora -- F8 specifically adapted to the early
> small EeePCs; F9 may have made it obsolete already.)
>
> 	The forums there are often somewhat disorganized, and hard to
> find things in; but they're *very* prolific.
>
> 	Suggestion : put Fedora, Puppy, and two or three others on
> bootable USB sticks, and try them without having to go through a whole
> install between each. I carry two or three such with mine; I think lots
> of people do.

If the 1000 uses the Atheros AR5007EG wifi wireless , FC10 is the only
way you want to go, it has drivers that work
perfect.
The kernel-2.6.26 does not have drivers for the Atheros wireless.
The kernel-2.6.27-fc10 has the correct drivers, and also has drivers for
the Webcam.
The madwifi  drivers at Livna does not work as they should for the
2.6.26 kernels.