LVM script at bootup ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Oct 12 23:21:16 UTC 2008

Hi;

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 17:39 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > William Case wrote:
> >> Hi;
> >>
> >> At boot up, the first thing that init.d seems to look for after udev is
> >> an LVM fs set up.  Finding none, because I am not using LVM, it
> >> continues to boot echoing every service.  What is the name of this LVM
> >> checking service and how do I turn it off?  Service xxx stop??
> >
> > There is really a service you can shut down. Both udev and LVM are
> > launch by /etc/rd.d/rc.sysinit, so your would probably have to edit
> > that file.
> >
> Oops - this is NOT really a service you can shut down - brain
> working faster then my fingers... :(

It's OK Mikkel, I gotcha anyways.  I have checked rc.sysinit and it does
'if [ -x /sbin/lvm ]; then
	action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/lvm vgchange -a y
--ignorelockingfailure
fi

I have no use for lvm.  I have thought of either commenting out the
above statement, or, 'yum remove lvm2' which has a mkinitrd dependency.

Which or whatelse would be the least dangerous?  Where did the /sbin/lvm
come from?  I have been careful to NOT install LVM with each new fedora
installation.  If it is being added by the latest kernel upgrade, would
not this addition of LVM to the rc.sysinit script be a bug?
> --
Regards Bill
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3
Evo.2.22.3.1, Emacs 22.2.1