playing mpeg has cone screwey.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Oct 13 00:49:45 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> I have no idea.
>> I have no idea either. But something is wrong with the uopdates it seems
>> to me.
>
> If you figure out specifics, then you can file bug reports.
>
>> All of that would be fine if you did not tell me to install rpms
>> supplied by Fedora to make totem work.
>
> It is not necessary for Totem to "work". Ogg for example works just fine
> without these additional packages.
>
> I understand why you can not
>> supply propriety codecs but why can't the rpms you told me to install be
>> suppled by default. They are not propriety.
>
> There are two basic classes of software that Fedora excludes:
>
> 1) Non-free software
> 2) Free but other legal issues such as patents.

Playing worked before the upgrade, therefore I assume that the codecs were
previously installed (somewhere in his system). Then playing stopped working
after the upgrade. So those previously working codecs seem to have been disabled
if not actually removed.

> The additional packages I told you about falls into the second class.

Do the policies of the nanny state require upgrades to disable working codecs?
Or were they just working in some way the cleanup script couldn't use? In other
words, was the reduced functionality deliberate to cover your ass, or was it
just collateral damage?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>