ps2 mouse pointer wanders away

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 05:55:52 UTC 2008

Tying up some loose threads as I have time --

On Aug 16, 2008, at 8:15 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>>> I find that I often lose control of the mouse pointer. It seems
>>> to happen more when I'm seeding torrents, or running a diff or a
>>> message digest check on the download, or doing other things that
>>> load the system.

And it just got worse, both in Fedora 7 and Fedora 9.

>>> Sempron 2600, single processor, VIA KM400something+8237 chipset,
>>> 760M RAM. Generic PS-2 mouse and keyboard.
>>>
>>> I can plug in a USB mouse and use that, and sometimes plugging
>>> the USB mouse in brings the PS2 mouse back, as well.
>>

>> In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file what is mouse protocol set to?
>
> No mouse definition in that file whatsoever.
>
> [...]
>
>> I've seen what I think you are describing when set to infrequently
>> seen/used setting. FWIW, the one I use most often is...
>>     Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>

> Thanks for reminding me where that file is. I found an example of
> the mouse definition section on the web, but the problem now is
> getting the box back on the web first.

Oh, yeah, checking the box and letting the gui network manager or
whatever it was manage the network was something I mentioned finding
in another thread, and probably my fat fingers while I was dozing at
the keyboard were the culprit.

The out-of-control mouse was just a bad mouse. A little high-tech
wire-wiggling with a multimeter, then 5 cm. clipped off the end of
the wire, re-soldered, and it works fine. Flaking out with Fedora 9
appears to have been just a coincidence, or maybe some timing thing
in nine made it more sensitive there first.

More noise, my apologies.

Joel Rees